Thursday, December 15, 2011

Describe a situation in which you, as a member of a group?

Describe a situation in which you, as a member of a group, strongly disagreed with the actions of the group based on ethical grounds. Did you feel free to voice your opinion, or did you feel pressure to conform to the group? Explain whether or not you expressed your thoughts to the group, and what happened afterwards. How did the group鈥檚 culture affect your decision whether or not to speak out, and the group鈥檚 response?|||In an English class in my degree we studied 'Heart of Darkness' by Jasper Conrad. If you don't know, the book follows a white explorer's journey through the Congo part based on Conrad's own experiences. The descriptions of black people are really derogatory and the language is shocking comparing them to animals etc. We were asked if the main character was racist, everyone said yes straight away. I thought it couldn't be classed as racist by a modern audience. In my opinion although the language in today's context is racist and unacceptable, reading deeper into the book, it is still a lot further thinking than other texts of that time, and the main character does disagree with the treatment of the black people. I hesitated to say this because I was the only white person in the class, but when I voiced by opinion the lecturer agreed with me, and a couple of other students agreed and others saw my point. I did hesitate however, but stood by my opinion, there were no hard feelings in the group at all.|||oh, family funerals





i dont believe at all, very strongly dont believe


and so i dont sing the hymns etc or say the prayers





and i have to admit to having done it, sang hymns, at my grans funeral ,i did felt pressure to conform cos it was an important family member to me, and everyone there


even tho i knew i was pagan and non believer in god, and had already not done it at 1 or 2 before





no i dont tell anyone, i dont want to express my opinion then ,


its a funeral, theres bigger things going on there than my own little personal issues


but, nor do i feel free to do so





the culture not much, just my own respect for the deceased and the people mourning








also


im vege for about 16 years





that was a tough beginning, no-one took me seriously





no i didn't feel free,to voice my opinion, but i was very young and impetuous so i didnt care much what they thought about it


and so i expressed it a lot, and my thoughts on animals treatment


no i didnt feel the pressure to conform, i was very non conformist then





what happened afterwards


hm pretty much 'yeah i know your vege i get it'


some argued for meat eating, blabbed on about wearing leather


as i said, i wasnt taken seriously for about the 1st 2 or 3 years,





their culture didn't affect my decision at all, i stuck with it,


and their response, i dunno, i suppose 'well thats frou for you she loves animals'|||My Dad brought me up with the moral that it was inherent in our nature to "speak your mind" or "forever hold your peace".





He said that withholding our feelings and "not speaking" up was like wanting to be chained forever and live like a slave to and for that group or thing.





I have OFTEN spoken my feelings, beliefs and disagreements. I have been excluded from some groups because of that and other times I have changed the group's point of view. However, one must fully KNOW our ethics and hold on to them at all costs.





In other words, if your DO THE TALK be most ready to DO THE WALK.|||I walked into my local gym and found 3 of my best mates were picking on a distant cousin of mine I hadn't seen in years, I beat them up.





Family before anything.

No comments:

Post a Comment